Kickstart - Trainee Mechanical Designer
03 December 2021
01 February 2022
Newton Aycliffe, DL56UD
DWP Kickstart Scheme
Apply for this job
To apply for this job, you must be claiming Universal Credit and 16 to 24 years old.
The successful candidate will be trained by a knowledgeable team to achieve the following:
• To produce practical new designs for highly regulated industries to tight timescales in a supportive team environment.
• Participation in the development of new and existing designs, components, machinery, and assemblies with the aim of reducing complexity and cost, improving maintainability, and increasing performance.
Responsibilities and duties include:
• Produce conceptual designs using CAD software
• Layout design of mechanical and hydraulic assemblies.
• Produce engineering drawings using 2D and 3D CAD software.
• To work in multi-discipline project teams on specific aspects of a project.
• To be involved in engineering discussions.
• Work with senior team members to deliver engineered solutions.
The successful candidate will have the following core competences and qualities:
• An enthusiasm for engineering.
• Logical thinking and reasoning.
• Good communication skills.
• Good attention to detail.
• Creative and innovative thinking.
• Team player.
• Good analytical skills.
• Good problem-solving skills.
• Willingness to learn and develop as an engineer.
• Good computer and technical skills Microsoft Office Word, excel, outlook etc.
Monday to Wednesday 09:00 to 16:30pm, Thursday (No hours) Friday 09:00am to 13:00pm
National Minimum Wage
ADDITIONAL EMPLOYABILITY SUPPORT
Employability support includes:
The kickstart placement will have a mentor, who will help them develop their skills including:
• Timekeeping and attendance clocking in and out, lunch breaks, holidays, fire roll call etc.
• Communication including verbal and electronic, e-mail, between team members, suppliers, and clients.
• Teamwork including working with engineers, clients, and suppliers.
• CV writing and interview etiquette including presentation.
• Design skills including 2D and 3D CAD.
• Engineering drawings using CAD.
These skills will allow the Kickstart placement to experience working life in an engineering office. These skills are transferable to other industries and will give the individual a good grounding to further develop their chosen career.
Apply for this job