Yard Apprentice Vacancy in Gateshead!
When our customers visit a Buildbase branch, we want to leave them with just one impression; that we are a brilliant Builders Merchant.
But what is a Builders Merchant and who are Buildbase?
A Builders Merchant sells building and construction materials to a range of different customers, from long-standing builders with years of experience in their trade to the do it yourself DIYers. As for Buildbase, we are one of the UK’s fastest growing builders’ merchants. We trade from hundreds of locations around the UK, all our branches are long-established companies which have been serving local tradespeople for many years with the knowledge and experience to match. You can expect reliable stock levels and the highest standards in service.
Whether you are serving customers in the yard, moving stock, loading vehicles, or assisting your colleagues, your role is to help our customers get the first-class service they deserve. That might mean answering a simple question, loading a vehicle or taking care of a more complex issue, such as advising a customer on specific products to enable them to complete their latest project.
We are looking for someone who can thrive in a customer focused environment, who enjoys problem solving and has the motivation to progress in their career. Many of our apprentices have gone on to bigger and better careers within Buildbase and we would like you to be our next success story!
What it’ll be like:
- You will initially take on the role of a Yard Apprentice working outside loading and unloading vehicles, moving stock and helping customers
- You will spend 20% of your time doing work-based learning, this will be done in your branch
- You will get the opportunity to develop your career within Buildbase with the possibility of progressing onto HGV (Class 2) training after your first year
Are you Buildbase material?
You don’t need to have any previous experience or qualifications, because we’ll help you learn everything you need to know.
You do however need to:
- Be committed to learn
- Be a brilliant communicator
- Have a “can do” attitude
- Be open to getting stuck in and helping wherever needed
- Be 18 years of age or older in order to drive our forklift trucks
- Be looking to build and develop your career within Buildbase
What’s in it for you?
- All our Apprentices receive £5 per hour (the national minimum apprenticeship wage is £4.15 per hour)
- A permanent contract from day one
- 31 days holiday (including bank holidays)
- A dedicated training plan, fully supported by a Training Development officer who will be on hand when you need them
- Access to a great discounted shopping website
- A generous staff discount scheme
- You will be assigned a mentor who will support you throughout your Apprenticeship
- An opportunity to win our Apprentice of the Year Award
- Genuine career and development opportunities
- Supply Chain Warehouse Operative Level 2 Apprenticeship on completion of your training (which usually takes around 12 months)
- Opportunity to move onto a HGV (Class 2) Apprenticeship in your 2nd year
We are an equal opportunities employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.