Kickstart - Warehouse/Yard assistant (CPS South Shields)
24 December 2021
25 February 2022
South Shields, NE335QY
DWP Kickstart Scheme
Apply for this job
To apply for this job, you must be claiming Universal Credit and 16 to 24 years old.
You may not know much about the Travis Perkins Group, but if you look a bit closer you might be surprised. We’re the UK's largest distributor of building materials to the building, construction and home improvement markets and we have over 15 industry leading brands that make up our Group. We have been helping to build Britain for over 200 years, and have 28,000 colleagues working from over 2000 outlets across the UK with an annual turnover of £7 Billion.
We’re really excited to be able to offer Kickstart opportunities nationwide with a number of our different brands including; Travis Perkins, Benchmarx, BSS, CCF, Keyline and our Plumbing and Heating Division. Find out more about our business, and individual brands by visiting www.travisperkinsplc.co.uk.
We are a supportive and inclusive organisation that is striving for gender parity across all areas of our business. We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, with all levels of experience. Our aim is to offer permanent employment for at least 70% of the Kickstarters who join us.
Kickstart your career with us!
Joining our friendly and hardworking team via our Kickstart Scheme will provide you with a fantastic opportunity to build employability skills and hands on work experience to prepare you for long term employment. Our dedicated Kickstart team will work with you from day one to ensure you get the most from your time with us and they’ll inform you about career opportunities with us once your scheme comes to an end. We have a strong history of developing people through our business to leadership level so demonstrating the right behaviours and motivation could lead to a long, fulfilling career with us.
What will I be doing?
Working in our yard or warehouse, you’ll gain hands on experience with our products. Predominantly based outside, you will take responsibility for processing customer orders and loading and unloading customer and company vehicles. The role will involve manual handling and you may also be given the opportunity to gain your forklift truck license. No one day is the same as the next in branch life, but here are a few pointers on what to expect:
● Our success is built on strong relationships with our customers so the key thing is to be helpful and friendly at all times, you will likely get to know our customers on a first name basis. Day to day, you will support our customers with their purchase by preparing quotes, processing their orders and ensuring they are aware of all the product options available to them.
● To ensure we remain the number one choice for our valued customers, you’ll support the branch team to ensure the required stock levels are maintained and that the stock is laid out in a safe and tidy manner.
● At points during your scheme you may be based outside in our yard so prepare for all weathers. You’ll also gain experience in loading and unloading stock using the appropriate manual handling equipment - we will provide full training for this.
● Safety is at the forefront of everything we do, so safety training will also form a key part of your time with us. Whilst you’re working in the branch, your aim will be to ensure that our standards never slip by helping to maintain a tidy and safe working environment.
What are we looking for?
You don’t need any previous experience to be considered for a Kickstart Placement with us but for the best chance of securing yourself a place you’ll need to be someone who:
● Knows what great customer service looks like – and how to provide it
● Is able to build relationships with people at all levels
● Loves to learn, develop and expand their knowledge
● Is motivated, and keen to make their mark in a supportive, diverse environment.
Find out more about what it’s like to work with us by visiting www.tpplccareers.co.uk.
Must be aged 18+
25 hours per week. Monday to Friday, 5 hours every day.
National Minimum Wage
ADDITIONAL EMPLOYABILITY SUPPORT
Each Kickstart colleague will complete a comprehensive training programme as well as gaining real life work experience. The training programme will cover basic work skills as well as our own Travis Perkins induction, health and safety training and training on how to work in our industry.
We will be delivering this training through our own training team and have a depth of experience of doing this having trained thousands of Apprentices, as well as offering work experience through various schemes.
Each Kickstart colleague will be assigned a dedicated Kickstart Coach who will carry out employability skills training with them. This will be done via online webinars and virtual 1-2-1 coaching sessions. This training will include information, advice and guidance around finding long term work, and the skills and tools that are needed to do this from an organisation that recruits thousands of new colleagues every year. The content will cover skills such as communication, time keeping, confidence, CV writing and interview skills. In total, the kickstart coach will spend around 3 hours each month with the Kickstart colleague but will be on hand to support if more time is required. The Kickstart Colleague’s line manager will compliment this training by showing them how to apply their new learning within the workplace.
All Kickstart colleagues would be eligible and would be considered for any new vacancies that arise at a relevant point in their training and work experience.
Apply for this job