Assisting with the daily running of the college catering department
To conform to the Food Safety and Health and Safety standards across the businessPackage Description
Christmas Off! No Split Shifts! Work only 7 out of 14 days in term time!
Come and join us as a Chef de Partie and join our big and friendly team at the Clifton College site in Bristol in our recently refurbished, well equipped kitchen providing catering services in a 7-day-a-week boarding and day school.
You would be involved in both core meal service as well as function work
We do not operate with split shifts, and we close between Christmas and New Year
During term time and some school holidays shifts are long (12 hours) but are arranged across a 2 week period working 3 days in the first week and 4 days in the second week, meaning you are working 7 days out of 14. We also aim during term time to offer every other weekend off. During other school holiday times we generally operate on a Monday to Friday basis where we can.
Generally early shifts start at 6am, late shifts typically finish at 8pm.
Paid Overtime is sometimes available to cover absences such as holidays.
Flexibility would be required for function work.
You would have excellent chef skills, high standards on service delivery and a flair for improvement and innovation. Background in education and/or catering environment would be advantageous but not essential.Main Responsibilities
The Ideal Candidate
- Comply with all company and statutory regulations relating to Health and safety, safe working practices, hygiene, cleanliness, fire and COSHH. This will include awareness of any specific hazards in the work place.
- Assist in the preparation, production, presentation and service of all meals ensure they are served at the correct times, within the company’s standards and to the agreed specification of the contract.
- Ensure that the control of raw materials and portions are to the company’s standards and to ensure food is served at the correct temperature
- Assist the head chef when required in planning menus and orders
- Receive and check in goods against invoice for quality
- Ensure that all goods are quickly and correctly stored away on rotation system following the rule ‘first in first out’ and comply with health and safety regulations.
- Assist in the service of meals as required.
- Maintain a high standard of hygiene and cleanliness in the food preparation and food service area at all times.
- Keep all work areas and surfaces clean and tidy at all times. Assist with routine cleaning schedules as required.
- Ensure high standards of personal performance, hygiene, appearance and cleanliness at all times.
- Communicate well and demonstrate a pleasant, polite, efficient, caring and friendly service to our customers and clients in all areas of service, which Sodexo provide.
- Participate in any necessary training and team meetings as required to complete job responsibilities to the company’s and client’s standards.
- Work as a team to promote harmonious working relationships within the Sodexo team
- Assist at any special ad-hoc functions, some of which may occur outside working hours.
- Report immediately any incidents of accident, fire, theft, loss, damage, unfit food, or other irregularities and take such action as may be appropriate.
- Comply with all Sodexo Company policies/procedures and client site rules and regulations.
- 1 - 2 years Chef de Partie experience
- Commis Chef that is looking for a new challenge will be considered.
- Strong level of literacy and numeracy
- Enhanced DBS Clearance
- 706/2 or NVQ2 chef qualification, or equivalent
- Previous catering experience and a Great Passion for Food and Team Engagement
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with customers, clients, and staff at all levels
- Intermediate Food Hygiene Certificate
- Good time management and organizational skills
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Computer literacy
- Ability to achieve and set standards and operate to performance criteria, with particular regard to hygiene
- Positive approach to learning in role and identifying own training needs as appropriate
- Self-motivated, sense of own initiative and the ability to meet target deadlines as set by the Account Manager
- Ability to work effectively as part of and in the development of a team with a flexible approach to role and to successfully implement change
About The Company
- 706/3 or NVQ3 chef hospitality qualification, or equivalent
- Previous experience of catering management and employee engagement
- Experience of managing and developing a team in an educational establishment
- Experience of managing budgets
In the UK and Ireland, Sodexo employs around 30,000 people, and partners with clients in many sectors across business and industry; schools and universities; sports and leisure; energy and resources; government and agencies; healthcare; justice and defence.
Sodexo’s connected; people-centric approach brings together a diverse range of expertise. The breadth of services it offers ranges from food and hospitality; cleaning; reception; concierge (Circles); security; property management and technical services through to data driven workplace strategy and design (Wx); employee engagement and recognition services (Sodexo Engage) and personal home services through Prestige Nursing + Care and the Good Care Group.
Vital Spaces is Sodexo’s value proposition that puts people at the heart of everything we do, bringing together services and solutions and focusing on the productivity and wellbeing of people wherever they are.
Sodexo is committed to being an inclusive employer; we welcome and encourage applications from people with a diverse variety of experiences, backgrounds and identities.
We’re a Disability Confident Leader employer. We’re committed to changing attitudes towards disability, and making sure disabled people have the chance to fulfil their aspirations.
We are building on our support to the Armed Forces community through the development of specific pathways within our recruitment process to support ex-forces personnel and reservists, those applying for jobs with us who meet the ideal candidate criteria for the role advertised are guaranteed to progress to the selection process