You'll be joining a small, focused team working on a reusable cross-platform routing and resiliency layer. You will design solutions based around AWS infrastructure and write high-quality, scalable code mainly in Elixir. You'll be passionate about functional programming, solid code design, investigating emerging web technologies and building highly scalable services for the future of BBC.
Your team will own the design and build of services that keep our products running well, including building and deployment tools, config management, monitoring and reporting. You'll provide capabilities as-a-service for other teams to use and be a centre of excellence for our use of Cloud technologies.
The right candidate will be someone with a strong interest in high-quality coding and DevOps who is quick and keen to learn and adapt and enjoys iterating their ideas in an agile fashion working as part of a team.
Our website often gets 50 million hits in a day. Millions use our mobile apps. We've seen higher than 1.8 million concurrent users on our site and try to support every device we can, from simpler mobile phones to connected TVs. Our broadcast output is watched and listened to by people across the country and the world.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be responsible for the following:
- Develop effective software that meets given specifications
- Review and give feedback on others' code
- Write appropriate tests using automated test-driven techniques for ensuring code quality
- Integrate the software with monitoring and support tools
- Support system integration in its operating environment
- Write and review technical documentation
- Help to troubleshoot and resolve issues throughout the product life cycle, including out of hours support for incident resolution
- Participate in the team's agile planning and delivery process
- Effectively participate in the team's software development methodologies, such as pairing, code and documentation reviewing and continuous delivery
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies
- Coach and Mentor junior engineers
- Demonstrable experience writing and maintaining robust production software
- Demonstrable experience with Elixir or a functional programming language
- Experience in Agile practices
- Experience in Cloud architecture
- Experience in DevOps
- Experience in testing and design patterns
- Competence in developing for operational concerns (monitoring integration, performance testing, security considerations)
- Takes responsibility for driving tasks to completion
- Understanding of designing & implementing for non-functional concerns
- Experience of database design and use in software applications
- Software Engineering or Computer Science Degree or equivalent
Proud member of the Disability Confident employer scheme
About Disability Confident
A Disability Confident employer will generally offer an interview to any applicant that declares they have a disability and meets the minimum criteria for the job as defined by the employer. It is important to note that in certain recruitment situations such as high-volume, seasonal and high-peak times, the employer may wish to limit the overall numbers of interviews offered to both disabled people and non-disabled people. For more details please go to Disability Confident