Kickstart - Shop/Office Assistant (BSS)
27 November 2021
31 January 2022
DWP Kickstart Scheme
Apply for this job
To apply for this job, you must be claiming Universal Credit and 16 to 24 years old.
You may not know much about the Travis Perkins Group, but if you look a bit closer you might be surprised. We’re the UK's largest distributor of building materials to the building, construction and home improvement markets and we have over 15 industry leading brands that make up our Group.
We are a supportive and inclusive organisation that is striving for gender parity across all areas of our business. We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, with all levels of experience. Our aim is to offer permanent employment for at least 70% of the Kickstarters who join us so this is a true opportunity to build yourself a fantastic career with a forward thinking business with strong family values.
Joining our friendly and hardworking team via our Kickstart Scheme will provide you with a fantastic opportunity to build employability skills and hands on work experience to prepare you for long term employment. Our dedicated Kickstart team will work with you from day one to ensure you get the most from your time with us and they’ll inform you about career opportunities with us once your scheme comes to an end. We have a strong history of developing people through our business to leadership level so demonstrating the right behaviours and motivation could lead to a long, fulfilling career with us.
Based behind the counter within one of our Branches, you will be one of the first faces our Customers see. You’ll play a vital role in our continued success, providing an excellent service to our customers and supporting them with their purchases. No one day is the same as the next in branch life, but here are a few pointers on what to expect:
● Our success is built on strong relationships with our customers so the key thing is to be helpful and friendly at all times, you will likely get to know our customers on a first name basis. We’ll train you up on our systems so that you’re able to prepare quotes for customers and provide information about our products. As your confidence builds, we will also give you the chance to build your sales skills by contacting our customer base by phone.
● To ensure we remain the number one choice for our valued customers, you’ll support the branch team to maintain the appearance of the Branch and product displays, keeping them clean and tidy and ensure we have a good stock of up-to-date customer brochures. This role may also give you the opportunity to help merchandise the branch - which means deciding where and how we display our products.
● Safety is at the forefront of everything we do, so safety training will also form a key part of your time with us. Whilst you’re working in the branch, your aim will be to ensure that our standards never slip by helping to maintain a tidy and safe working environment.
Find out more about what it’s like to work with us by visiting www.tpplccareers.co.uk.
You don’t need any previous experience to be considered for a Kickstart Placement with us but for the best chance of securing yourself a place you’ll need to be someone who:
● Knows what great customer service looks like – and how to provide it
● Is able to build relationships with people at all levels
● Loves to learn, develop and expand their knowledge
● Is motivated, and keen to make their mark in a supportive, diverse environment.
Monday to Friday, 5 hours every day
National Minimum Wage
ADDITIONAL EMPLOYABILITY SUPPORT
Each Kickstart colleague will complete a comprehensive training programme as well as gaining real life work experience. The training programme will cover basic work skills as well as our own Travis Perkins induction, health and safety training and training on how to work in our industry.
We will be delivering this training through our own training team and have a depth of experience of doing this having trained thousands of Apprentices, as well as offering work experience through various schemes.
Each Kickstart colleague will be assigned a dedicated Kickstart Coach who will carry out employability skills training with them. This will be done via online webinars and virtual 1-2-1 coaching sessions. This training will include information advice and guidance around finding long term work, and the skills and tools that are needed to do this from an organisation that recruits thousands of new colleagues every year. The content will cover skills such as communication, time keeping, confidence, CV writing and interview skills. In total, the Kickstart coach will spend around 3 hours each month with the Kickstart colleague but will be on hand to support if more time is required. The Kickstart Colleague’s line manager will compliment this training by showing them how to apply their new learning within the workplace.
All Kickstart colleagues would be eligible and would be considered for any new vacancies that arise at a relevant point in their training and work experience.
Apply for this job