Food Service and Retail Café Assistants
22 September 2021
£9.66 per hour
21 October 2021
Durham, Tyne-Tees, DH1 3LE
Apply for this job
The Department and role purpose
University catering are seeking to recruit food service and retail cafe assistants into very rewardingand demanding roles. Thisrole is key in our teams and ensures the smooth running of the food service operation within the food and beverage team, in order for us to achieve an outstanding student experience and guest satisfaction. We focus on personality rather than experience when recruiting new team members. We seek individuals with creativityand the desire to be the very best in everything they do. Think you have that 'sparkle' and 'can-do' attitude we look for in all of our team? Are you excited about becoming part of a team that strives to be the best? Then we want to hear from you!
“Passionately delivering an outstanding experience”
We are a team of over 500, providing fresh and diversecatering throughout Durham University. This includes college dining halls, college bars, college cafés, visitor attractions and branded retail catering outlets.
Our students are extremely important to us but we also provide catering to University colleagues, commercial guests, and VIPs including royalty.
Catering team members are responsible for providing a professional, responsive and efficient customer-facing catering service to students, staff and visitors, ensuring that food service areas are presented, served, replenished and cleaned to an exceptional standard and in line with standard operating procedures.
Catering team members will be expected to adopt and promote a flexible approach to working, and to undertake any or all of the tasks outlined below regardless of their designated shift.
Successful candidates are expected to promote a positive image of University Catering and Durham University at all times.
- As part of a team, complete a defined set of tasks or procedures to deliver a responsive service to students, staff and visitors.
- Follow instructions from a supervisor, and standard operating procedures, to ensure that food and beverage is appropriately produced, presented, served and replenished.
- As and when directed assist team members by stepping-in to provide support.
- Learn the correct methods and tasks on the job.
- Learn and adhere to general health, safety and security procedures within the service area in line with Health & Safety at Work guidelines, including departmental systems for health & safety and food safety.
- Use a range of equipment, tools and resources where necessary.
- Effectively communicate with your supervisor/line manager, team members, other staff, students and visitors in person or using electronic tools and applications.
- Assist team members to deliver a frontline student, staff and visitor catering service.
- Share menu and food product knowledge, including answering questions regarding individual allergen and dietary requirements.
- Anticipate individual needs of students, staff and visitors and proactively provide assistance where required.
- Learn how to, and use task specific manual and specialist tools to deliver services.
- Learn and complete work in accordance with risk assessments and departmental procedures for health & safety and food safety specific to the nature of the work area and environment.
- Assist other team members with the application of basic audit and stock control tasks.
- Where directed wear and use personal protective equipment and clothing to carry out tasks, including uniform.
- Accept payments and cash handling.
- Ensure that all feedback is brought to the attention of your line manager.
- Any other reasonable duties.
Specific role requirements:
All roles are any 5 days out of 7. Successful applicants will be required to work some evenings and weekends.
Working in the catering team requires an element of physical manual handling, which can include lifting and transporting catering equipment.
The post holder will be required to work flexibly across all catering areas.
Apply for this job