We are recruiting Support Workers to join our service in Launceston where four people share a home, male and female (various hours are available).It is a busy home with lots to do but the rewards are worth it when you see the smile on the faces on those you have helped make a difference in their day!
We require flexibility from our Support Workers. Shifts will cover weekends, sleep ins and all holidays. We have various hours to offer, full or part time. Although not mandatory, someone who holds a valid driver's license would be of benefit as we also support in the community.
The people we supportall have different needs and are aged over 50. Some need assistance with personal care and they all need support with medication, cooking, shopping and housework/laundry.
They all enjoy accessing the community and going for coffee. One gentleman enjoys trains and eating out while others enjoy swimming and bowling. There is a gentleman who has Autism and can sometimes present with challenging behaviours, he loves Dr Who and Star Wars and enjoys a Costa Coffee. Routine is important to him.
Have you thought about working for Mencap?
Mencap is a leader in providing excellent support to people with a learning disability. Our vision is a world where people with a learning disability are valued equally, listened to and included.
At Mencap, we value a diverse and inclusive workplace and we intentionally plan for the success of our colleagues in everything we do. We welcome applications from everyone, so come as you are and join us. Together we are Mencap!
Everyone wants a purposeful job - to do something really meaningful. Everything we do at Mencap keeps the people we support at the centre of what we do.
With us, it's never 'just a job'. In return for your hard work and passion you can find real and meaningful work experience, access to some excellent benefits alongside our competitive pay.
What does a Support Worker do?
As a Support Worker you will be expected to provide an outstanding level of support that will enormously contribute to the people we support, living a more comfortable, dignified, liberated and happy life.
- Personal care - helping people to get ready for the day and assisting with bathing, showering and using the bathroom.
- Supporting people to live independently - budget management, paying bills, housework, organising appointments and cooking delicious healthy meals.
- Excellent communication skills/relationship building - supporting the person to understand the world around them and promoting positive relationships.
- Community & Social Inclusion- Supporting individuals to access and participate in their local community and Social events to promote life skills and individuality.
We are proud to be a Disability Confident Leader and welcome applicants with disabilities to apply for all roles with us. To find out more about the scheme please visit the directgov website.
No two days are ever the same, sometimes they may be challenging but always positive so click apply now to be considered!
*All roles are subject to an enhanced DBS check and suitable references.
As well as knowing that what we do is making a positive difference to people's lives, you will receive fair pay and have access to a wide range of rewards and benefits as one of our employees.
- 28 days holiday (including bank holidays) increasing to 35 days with long service plus the ability to buy up to another 10 days via our HolidayPlus scheme
- Service related sick pay when 6 month probation is completed
- Pension contributions into NEST Scheme on a salary sacrifice basis meaning NI savings
- Death in service life cover for a nominated beneficiary under our life assurance scheme
- Loans for debt consolidation, bikes, computers and phones when you have been with us for 6 months
- Interest free season ticket loans
- Discounts and cashback from 3% to 30% at high street shops including major supermarkets, cinemas, gyms, leisure/theme parks, holidays and much more via Mencap Extras
- Opportunity to purchase a health cash plan to claim towards dental, glasses, therapy etc.
- Free access to round the clock employee assistance program for advice and support
- Quarterly award scheme and recognition at every 5 years through our YouRock program
- Access to award winning training and development
*T&C's apply based on contract
At Mencap we work in partnership with people with a learning disability. We do this by providing high quality, flexible services that support people, including young adults, to live as independently as possible in their own homes and in the community.
Everyone wants a purposeful job - to do something meaningful. At Mencap, we can give you that. You will have opportunities to develop as a person, colleague, leader and activist.
You'll make new friends and feel inspired to reach your potential. We will ask a lot of you - but you'll get back so much more. With us, it is never 'just a job'.
In return for your hard work and passion, we can give you real meaning and purpose in your work.
Proud member of the Disability Confident employer scheme
About Disability Confident
A Disability Confident employer will generally offer an interview to any applicant that declares they have a disability and meets the minimum criteria for the job as defined by the employer. It is important to note that in certain recruitment situations such as high-volume, seasonal and high-peak times, the employer may wish to limit the overall numbers of interviews offered to both disabled people and non-disabled people. For more details please go to Disability Confident