BBC Audience Platform is one of the BBC’s biggest and most ambitious online projects. We aim to personalise the online and mobile device experience and engage more effectively with our audience. We are responsible for providing account and recommendations services for our audience members, notification and participation services (including comments and voting platforms) and big-data warehousing, analytics and insights services. You will be part of a team transforming the BBC into a data-driven organisation supporting delivery of the BBC’s services such as iPlayer, News, Sport, Children, Weather, Radio and TV to millions of people.
As a Senior Systems Engineer, you will be accountable to take a lead on the design and implementation of our system and infrastructure at a vast scale, collaborating with the wider engineering community to create industry-leading products and crafting well-architected and consistent systems. You’ll be building new features and looking after the mission-critical Single-Sign-On platform for all the BBC public services. To succeed, we need to deliver elegant user experiences, as well as a service that’s performant and reliable at scale to millions of users, in a secure manner. You will also be a mentor within our engineering community, so being able to inspire and get the most out of software engineers is desirable too.
The Account team is a dynamic Agile team that strives to embody the principles of DevOps - every team member is fully empowered to improve, release and operate our services.
As a Senior Systems Engineer, some of the things you’ll be responsible for are:
- Providing operational support and incident response/management for the Account team’s systems and infrastructure, including out-of-hours on-call support.
- Enabling software engineers to deliver new releases of software safely and quickly by continually improving our team’s development/deployment tools and processes.
- Delivering infrastructure-focused projects which further the Account platform’s reliability, scalability, efficiency and performance.
- Ensuring that the Account platform can scale seamlessly and securely to provide services under a range of traffic conditions and working alongside other team members to performance test our systems.
- Engaging with other teams in the BBC to assist with their integration with our systems.
- Working with members of the BBC’s technical leadership team to help define and implement best practices when developing and deploying software.
- Helping to ensure that our monitoring, alerting and logging solutions are as good as they can be.
We’re keen to speak with people who have experience designing, developing and supporting large, complex systems at scale with modern tools clearly and coherently. We’d be keen to see the experience of cloud infrastructure and automation techniques.
Experience in working on different projects and professional software development processes including Agile, continuous integration/delivery and acceptance test for new components. As well as supporting software in a production enterprise environment.
Finally, we value experience communicating effectively with both technical and non-technical colleagues at all levels in an organisation.
Proud member of the Disability Confident employer scheme
About Disability Confident
A Disability Confident employer will generally offer an interview to any applicant that declares they have a disability and meets the minimum criteria for the job as defined by the employer. It is important to note that in certain recruitment situations such as high-volume, seasonal and high-peak times, the employer may wish to limit the overall numbers of interviews offered to both disabled people and non-disabled people. For more details please go to Disability Confident