BBC iPlayer is one of the UK’s most well-known and loved brands, and we’re looking for passionate members to join our collaborative, cross-discipline, agile teams. We welcome applications from all, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief.
It is an exciting time to join the team, as our mission is to be the future of BBC TV. This is a place where your work impacts millions of iPlayer users every day. You will have the opportunity to lead the iPlayer Recommendations team that powers every personalised user experience across the iPlayer client family (TV, Mobile and Web).
As a Software Engineering Team Lead, you will lead the team of Data and Software engineers that design and implements recommendations engines using machine learning and the supporting technology stack that collects, transforms, decorates and stores user, content and interaction data. This is an opportunity to inform the Product team on how to use recommendations and to research and design new approaches to recommendations at the BBC.
- Technical Leadership for a team of to 4
- Machine Learning and Recommendations technology leadership
- Work with stakeholders across the iPlayer organisation to align with goals and mission
- Mentor and Coach your direct reports
- Provide technical leadership up to senior stakeholders.
Why choose us?
We care a lot about our technology, for example keeping our stack up-to-date, following best practices and industry standards. Our current stack utilises Python, Spark and AWS Serverless (GLU, Redis) and all team members have the opportunity to steer our technical direction.
We also care a lot about the people in our teams. There are great opportunities to grow your career within the team and BBC, and a mentorship programme to make sure you are well-supported. We believe strongly in developing talent from within the team. We have training and conference budgets, and 10% of your time is dedicated for you to explore, innovate and learn new technologies. There are also regular opportunities to collaborate with other teams around the BBC.
Essential Skills & Experience
- Have the ability to lead ,coach. mentor and line-manage a team of 4+ engineers
- Have experience working with cross discipline peers including Product Managers, Delivery Mangers and Design leads.
- Have a deep understanding of system design, data structures and algorithms and understand how to apply them to design pragmatic solutions.
- Have experience with AWS managed services.
- Have extensive experience working hands-on in an agile environment.
- Have experience in identifying, debugging and resolving complex production issues.
Desirable Skills & Experience
- Establishing and promoting best practices within teams
- Learning new software skills and working with new technologies
- Research and Design recommendations engines for millions of users
Proud member of the Disability Confident employer scheme
About Disability Confident
A Disability Confident employer will generally offer an interview to any applicant that declares they have a disability and meets the minimum criteria for the job as defined by the employer. It is important to note that in certain recruitment situations such as high-volume, seasonal and high-peak times, the employer may wish to limit the overall numbers of interviews offered to both disabled people and non-disabled people. For more details please go to Disability Confident