BBC iPlayer is one of the UK’s most well-known and loved brands, and we’re looking for passionate members to join our collaborative, cross-discipline, agile teams. We welcome applications from all, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief.
It is an exciting time to join the team, as our mission is to be the future of BBC TV. This is a place where your work impacts millions of iPlayer users every day. You will have the opportunity to lead the iPlayer Recommendations team that powers every personalised user experience across the iPlayer client family (TV, Mobile and Web).
As a Senior Software Engineering in the team you will work closely with the Team Lead, Data Engineers and Data Scientist to implement the code and infrastructure that generate recommendations using machine learning techniques and other algorithms and integrate with the broader BBC recommendation technology
The role in our iPlayer Recommendations team centres around researching and building recommendation engines to solve the personalisation and relevance opportunities for the iPlayer audiences.
You will be working to develop and own our internal and externally facing solutions using a wide range of technologies and cloud infrastructure.
- Be accountable for the design and development of effective software that meets given the complex, strategic business needs for immediate team and broader BBC
- Promote alignment of the teams products and services with BBC technology and architecture strategy
- Provide technical knowledge and insight to peers and colleagues
- Review and give constructive feedback on others’ code
- Ensure the team’s software works well in its operating environment
- Troubleshooting and resolution of issues throughout the product life cycle including out of hours support for incident resolution
- Define and document the team’s best practice and standards
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of the team’s delivery and development processes
- Mentor more junior software engineering team members
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies, and help introduce them where appropriate
We are looking for a person with a passion to always improve, who is willing to learn from and share your knowledge with other people. It's okay if you don't have all of the experience. Tell us why you're a suitable candidate in your questionnaire:
- Knowledge of recommendation algorithms, tools and technology
- Knowledge of Cloud Technologies – AWS
- Growth mindset, willing to learn and share knowledge
- Experience in Leading or Mentoring a team of engineers, it's okay if you don't
- Knowledge of Python, Spark, AWS GLU and other ML technology
- A passion for data and recommendations engines
Proud member of the Disability Confident employer scheme
About Disability Confident
A Disability Confident employer will generally offer an interview to any applicant that declares they have a disability and meets the minimum criteria for the job as defined by the employer. It is important to note that in certain recruitment situations such as high-volume, seasonal and high-peak times, the employer may wish to limit the overall numbers of interviews offered to both disabled people and non-disabled people. For more details please go to Disability Confident