Associate Principal Scientist
Salary & Benefits Competitive
Bold Disruptors. Push the boundaries of science Fearlessly break new ground
Work at the cutting-edge, where scientific innovations and an entrepreneurial spirit are the norm.
And in return… we're looking for curious minds, comfortable taking smart risks and learning
This is the place to go beyond discovery - we think holistically about patients and are always learning from those living with diseases. We harness digital, data science & AI to fast-forward our research. Making sure work born in a lab can make a real difference.
Pharmaceutical Sciences at AstraZeneca delivers the therapies of the future through scientific leadership in drug delivery, design of synthetic routes, and manufacturing of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (API) and drug products. Our portfolio of projects spans small molecules, peptides, oligonucleotides to RNA-based therapeutics across AstraZeneca's therapy areas. Advanced Drug Delivery (ADD) resides within Pharmaceutical Sciences with a mission to transform diverse modalities into investigational medicines.
We now seek a talented, motivated biopharmaceutics scientist at an Associate Principal Scientist level to join our Small Molecule Preformulation and Biopharmaceutics team. The rest of the team is located in Gothenburg, Sweden, but there is a need for a local biopharmaceutics specialist to collaborate with the Oncology projects in UK and US. The remit of the cross-functional team is to deliver small molecule formulation and analytical solutions up to candidate drug delivery and GLP tox, as well as biopharmaceutics expertise from discovery up to Phase II.
This is an exciting role where you as a Biopharmaceutics Expert you are anticipated to provide biopharmaceutics input into primarily oral development projects and independently lead method development and research projects within the area of oral biopharmaceutics.
Typical accountabilities for the role
* Responsibilities for influencing selection of lead compound, formulation design and development strategies for projects to ensure desired pre-clinical and clinical performance targets through collaboration in multidisciplinary teams consisting of formulators, analysts, solid state and material science experts
* Expected to have a holistic view of CMC activities as well as have knowledge of other scientific disciplines within BioPharmaceuticals R&D, and delivers innovative and differentiated strategies that balance scientific risks against return on investment based on multidisciplinary input
* Designs and executes appropriate in vitro tests and guides in vivo methodologies to predict product performance, including dissolution, absorption, permeability and intestinal precipitation tests to support drug development
* Predicts pre-clinical and clinical performance of drug products based on in vitro as well as in vivo data using mechanistic in silico models
* Supports design of clinical studies and clinical bridging strategies based on expert knowledge of essential biopharmaceutics properties of interest for a line-of-sight clinical perspective
* Participates in cross-functional and external networks to ensure biopharmaceutics related science and project input is up-to-date with current developments in the field, and shares the knowledge in and outside of own function
* Ensures that clinical reports, scientific presentations, publications and other outgoing documents are produced with high quality, and produce these through collaboration with appropriate collaborators within and outside of AstraZeneca
* Ensures that developed strategies are in line with regulatory guidances (e.g. ICH, EMA, FDA) and maintains a familiarity with USP/EP requirements
* Ensures own work, and the work of others, is performed in accordance with appropriate Safety, Health & Environment (SHE), quality and compliance standards, e.g. Good Laboratory Practice (GLP)
Education, Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- PhD in a relevant discipline (such as Biopharmaceutics, Pharmaceutics, Pharmacokinetics or Drug Delivery) or equivalent industrial experience within oral pharmaceutical drug development
- Significant previous experience supporting oral projects and a strong understanding of biopharmaceutics, physical chemistry, biology and pharmacokinetics to enable a mechanistic understanding of in vivo drug product performance
- Track record of scientific excellence in terms of publications, presentations and networking activities with ability to communicate and write proficiently in English. Capable of, and desire for continuing to develop yourself in this area
- Documented experience of designing and driving in vivo, in vitro and in silico investigations of drug product performance
- Good understanding/knowledge of the overall drug development process and knowledge of what CMC attributes that make this process successful
- Innovative, driving for scientific excellence with a continuous improvement mind-set
- Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills, and the ability to discuss complex ideas in a simple, easy to understand way
- Ability to tackle complex scientific problems and troubleshooting, and independently lead and influence projects
Be empowered to be innovative and creative where difference is valued
So, what's next?
Complete your application before the below closing date.
This role is open from 19/04/2021 and welcome with your application no later than 03/05/2021
Where can I find out more?
Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en