BBC Design + Engineering offers a wide range of stretching, creative and impactful careers for talented people. We are the team that’s building the future of the BBC, whilst delivering TV, radio and online services to millions of people worldwide every day.
As well as being the people behind iPlayer and the News, Sports and Children’s services, we develop, support and maintain the systems and infrastructure that keeps the BBC on air and are responsible for the biggest British-run digital service in the world. In D+E, you’ll be working on unique challenges, hand in hand with the best creative minds in the UK and alongside one of the world's leading production and distribution companies (BBC Studios).
We offer challenging work but with the time to think and do things right. We value Diversity & Inclusion everywhere at the BBC and encourage people of all background to apply for the role and tell us why they believe they’d be an good addition to the BBC.
If you are interested to know more about D+E please explore the following links:
- Blogs: https://medium.com/bbc-design-engineering
- OpenSource: https://www.bbc.co.uk/opensource/
- GitHub: https://github.com/bbc
- General D+E info: https://www.bbc.com/backstage/design-engineering
- Building excellently engineered, high availability solutions to handle huge volumes of traffic.
- Ensuring technical quality meets the needs for a fast, reliable, always-on service.
- Championing new technologies and approaches to ensure our products remain world class.
- Collaborating effectively to deliver the best value audience experience.
- Working with others to get things done in a proactive and positive way.
- Working with journalists and designers on new application concepts and building prototypes.
- Working closely with our operational support teams to ensure our solutions our supportable, scalable and reliable.
- Contributing to an environment of engineering excellence and continuous improvement.
- Delivering features using agile development practices.
- Seeking out new tools and methodologies to evolve our development processes.
- Solving operational issues, including working under a Dev Ops model.
- Assisting with recruiting, mentoring and training new team members.
We’re keen to speak with people who have experience designing, developing and supporting large, complex systems at scale with one or more modern programming languages and/or frameworks. We’d also be keen to see experience of cloud infrastructure and automated testing techniques.
Experience of project working and professional software development processes including Agile, behaviour driven development and test driven development would be preferable, as well as supporting software in a production environment. Finally, we value experience communicating effectively with both technical and non-technical colleagues at all levels in an organisation.
You submit an application, have an informal conversation with our talent team to discuss your skills and future aspirations. You attend a blended interview encompassing strengths and competency based questions. Depending on the role, you may do a practical, or pairing exercise to gauge your approach to problem solving and programming. Finally we give you the good news and offer you to opportunity to join BBC Design + Engineering.
*Please note that this isn't a singular job opportunity, you're registering your interest to work with the BBC based on the role mentioned. We will reach out to you to advise on what roles would best suit your experience
Proud member of the Disability Confident employer scheme
About Disability Confident
A Disability Confident employer will generally offer an interview to any applicant that declares they have a disability and meets the minimum criteria for the job as defined by the employer. It is important to note that in certain recruitment situations such as high-volume, seasonal and high-peak times, the employer may wish to limit the overall numbers of interviews offered to both disabled people and non-disabled people. For more details please go to Disability Confident