BBC iPlayer is one of the UK’s most well-known and loved brands, and we’re looking for passionate members to join our collaborative, cross-discipline, agile teams. We welcome applications from all, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief.
It is an exciting time to join the team, as our mission is to be the future of BBC TV. This is a place where your work impacts millions of iPlayer users every day. You will have the opportunity to lead the API and backend services team that power every iPlayer Application created by the BBC including TVs, iOS, Android and Web clients.
As a Software Engineering Team Lead, you will have the opportunity to lead the team that designs and implements software infrastructure and services using a wide range of technologies that delivers the user experience catalogue and information. You will also have the opportunity to work with User Experience Designers, Technical Architects, Delivery Managers and Product Managers to influence the future of BBC iPlayer, and make it the indispensable video destination for all the UK public
- Technical Leadership for a team of 4
- Work with cross discipline partners to plan and commit to quarterly deliverables
- Work within the engineering discipline to drive best practises
- Coach and mentor team members and peers
- Work with stakeholders across the iPlayer organisation to align with goals and mission
Why choose us?
We care a lot about our technology, for example keeping our stack up-to-date, following best practices and industry standards. Our current stack utilises REST or GraphQL APIs (node.js/TypeScript) - SQL/NoSQL databases (Postgres and Redis) and AWS Serverless (SNS, SQS, Lambda) and all team members have the opportunity to steer our technical direction.
We also care a lot about the people in our teams. There are great opportunities to grow your career within the team and BBC, and a mentorship programme to make sure you are well-supported. We believe strongly in developing talent from within the team. We have training and conference budgets, and 10% of your time is dedicated for you to explore, innovate and learn new technologies. There are also regular opportunities to collaborate with other teams around the BBC.
We are happy to consider flexible work based on your personal situation, such as part-time, term-time and remote working.
Essential Skills & Experience
- Have the ability to lead ,coach. mentor and line-manage a team of 4+ engineers
- Have experience working with cross discipline peers including Product Managers, Delivery Mangers and Design leads.
- Have a deep understanding of system design, data structures and algorithms and understand how to apply them to design pragmatic solutions.
- Have experience with AWS managed services.
- Have extensive experience working hands-on in an agile environment.
- Have experience in identifying, debugging and resolving complex production issues.
Desirable Skills & Experience
- Establishing and promoting best practices within teams
- Learning new software skills and working with new technologies
- Working with CI/CD tools such as Jenkins or similar
Proud member of the Disability Confident employer scheme
About Disability Confident
A Disability Confident employer will generally offer an interview to any applicant that declares they have a disability and meets the minimum criteria for the job as defined by the employer. It is important to note that in certain recruitment situations such as high-volume, seasonal and high-peak times, the employer may wish to limit the overall numbers of interviews offered to both disabled people and non-disabled people. For more details please go to Disability Confident