BBC Online Technology Group (OTG) is an exciting and pivotal area that powers all BBC Online services providing state of the art technology, multi-vendor cloud and distribution services as well as in-house products and tools that deliver the BBC App / website you interact with to get the latest news or see the latest Football score or whether it is going to rain or be sunny in the morning or see a programme on iPlayer to relax after a hard day’s work.
The Monitoring Team ensures your and the rest of UK population’s experience of BBC web products is never compromised and you have a wow experience of BBC online every time. The Monitoring Team is responsible for the development of in-house tools, dashboards, products and 3rd party monitoring solutions enabling end to end monitoring of the entire chain of BBC Online services that is from networks, systems, applications all the way to audio and video streams as well as user experience of these streams whether on cloud or on-premise using state of the art technology, data stores (analytics and challenges including capturing data, data storage, scalability, data analysis, visualization) as well as potential for Predictive Analytics. Currently, The Monitoring Team is in the process of developing a highly available and scalable in-house Monitoring stack utilising open source components like Grafana and TICK stack
These tools as well as being used by product teams that develop iPlayer, bbc.co.uk, News, Sport, Weather and Broadcast Engineering are used by our 24 * 7 NOC team who monitor BBC’s online products.
The team works in a dynamic fashion with opportunities to innovate during regular hack days and was recently singled out for “Innovator of the Year Award” from a list of 60 well-known industry leaders.
The role would suit someone who has a strong interest in Engineering either developing user-facing products employing software engineering best practices or passionate about orchestrating platform, automation, repeatability, performance or using their deep expertise in Systems which maybe RHEL 7/8, Networks, VMs, in the Cloud, Scalable and Highly Available etc
This dynamic role is part of a delivery team closely working with stakeholders across the BBC, and will be responsible for interpreting and implementing software requirements across Web, Mobile and TV Platforms.
- Contributing to the design and architecture of Monitoring systems
- Pairing with and mentoring other developers to share knowledge and practices
- Employing software or systems engineering and best practices
- Providing technical consultancy and advice to the technical and management teams as required.
The role would suit either a software engineer who knows their way around Python and/or GO working on large scale projects and wants to learn more about performance and systems / DevOps engineering, a Systems Engineer who knows their way around Linux and wants to learn more about software engineering best practices when developing cloud services or a DevOps Engineer keen to learn software engineering principles.
- Experience with REST / JSON based API services
- Experience with setting up POC / production systems, architecting large-scale web-based distributed systems
- Experience with the latest Open source tools and technologies preferably Vault, Consul, Packer, Terraform, AWX, TICK stack/Prometheus, time series databases, Grafana, Log Management tools etc
- Good communication and writing skills
- And production level experience in 2 or more of Python/GO, working in the Cloud with AWS/GCP, RHEL7/8, DevOps, Monitoring tools and metrics, automation or as below:
- Fluent in at least one modern programming language preferably Python or GO and good experience within a development discipline e.g. testing, pairing, continuous integration methodologies, tooling and techniques
- OR strong experience with systems, or networking or application monitoring tool solutions with knowledge of metrics, performance, monitoring, scalability and security - (TICK stack/Prometheus/DataDog, Grafana, Log Management tools eg Splunk/SumoLogic /ELK, Web monitoring Tools eg Dynatrace, Datadog), beneficial to have experience of large-scale projects with good exposure to scripting languages and automation/configuration management using Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Terraform or equivalent
- OR strong experience with Linux [RHEL 7/8] system administration skills which could include but not limited to setting up interfaces, DNS, file systems, proxies, networking, OS, security, Working knowledge of developing Infrastructure as Code, Production level knowledge of containers and container orchestration technologies / Docker with good exposure to scripting languages and automation/ configuration management using Puppet, Ansible, Terraform or equivalent. Production level knowledge of CI/CD process and workflow
- OR A DevOps person with a combination of strong above skills eg Software Engineering, Cloud-based technologies (AWS / GCP), Quality Assurance and Operations skills/ experience/interest.
Proud member of the Disability Confident employer scheme
About Disability Confident
A Disability Confident employer will generally offer an interview to any applicant that declares they have a disability and meets the minimum criteria for the job as defined by the employer. It is important to note that in certain recruitment situations such as high-volume, seasonal and high-peak times, the employer may wish to limit the overall numbers of interviews offered to both disabled people and non-disabled people. For more details please go to Disability Confident