BBC iPlayer & Sounds Partner teams work closely with all UK TV platforms and all major global Smart TV and games console partners. The streaming of video and audio content and the number of supporting devices is growing rapidly. Our challenge, working with our partners, is to integrate BBC streaming services and continue to innovate as the TV industry rapidly evolves and expands.
Our teams ensure that everyone in the UK has access to our high-quality iPlayer, Sounds, and Red Button services on the widest choice of devices supported by any streaming content provider.
As a team, we are committed to Agile working processes and practices. This includes daily stand-up, weekly fun-filled retrospectives run by the team, and knowledge share sessions. Additionally, we have bi-weekly innovation days for personal development. This enables us to work on something that aids development and sometimes outside the realms of our role.
Based in MediaCityUK, Salford, the role in our Partner Experience team centres around solving our business problems in software by creating world-class tools, web portals, and automated processes. These form the backbone of our TV Certification process for iPlayer and Sounds.
You will be working to develop and own our internal and externally facing solutions using a wide range of technologies and cloud infrastructure.
- Be accountable for the design and development of effective software that meets given the complex, strategic business needs for immediate team and broader BBC
- Promote alignment of the teams products and services with BBC technology and architecture strategy
- Provide technical knowledge and insight to peers and colleagues
- Review and give constructive feedback on others’ code
- Ensure the team’s software works well in its operating environment
- Troubleshooting and resolution of issues throughout the product life cycle including out of hours support for incident resolution
- Define and document the team’s best practice and standards
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of the team’s delivery and development processes
- Mentor more junior software engineering team members
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies, and help introduce them where appropriate
We are looking for a person with a passion to always improve, who is willing to learn from and share your knowledge with other people. It's okay if you don't have all of the experience. Tell us why you're a suitable candidate in your questionnaire.
- Knowledge of Cloud Technologies – AWS
- Growth mindset, willing to learn and share knowledge
- Experience in Leading or Mentoring a team of engineers, it's okay if you don't
- Desirable: Vue, Nuxt, TDD
- Desirable: TV device software development experience
- Desirable: Experience mentoring software engineers
Proud member of the Disability Confident employer scheme
About Disability Confident
A Disability Confident employer will generally offer an interview to any applicant that declares they have a disability and meets the minimum criteria for the job as defined by the employer. It is important to note that in certain recruitment situations such as high-volume, seasonal and high-peak times, the employer may wish to limit the overall numbers of interviews offered to both disabled people and non-disabled people. For more details please go to Disability Confident