The BBC is one of the UK’s most well-known and loved brands. The iPlayer and Sounds department builds some of our most used online products, with a mission to secure the Internet future of the organisation.
The Interactive TV teams within this department build and support the BBC’s 'big screen' experiences, including iPlayer, News, Sport and live events across our broadcast and connected TV platforms.
There is a wealth of content to discover throughout the BBC's connected TV services, and this team is focused on ensuring that it plays seamlessly and in high quality for all users, no matter what type of TV device they have.
Fulfilling this mission requires a detailed understanding of a wide range of Media Playback technologies and features such as Dash/HLS, ABR, MSE, Seamless Failover, Live Playback and HTML5 video to name a few. Consisting of a group of highly skilled, multi-disciplinary individuals the team is constantly collaborating working with a wide range of teams across the BBC, using Agile principles, to iterate and learn quickly and at scale
- Be accountable for the design and development of effective software that meets given complex, strategic business needs for immediate team and broader BBC
- Recruit, mentor and manage an effective software engineering team
- Ensure alignment of the teams products and services with BBC technology and architecture strategy
- Provide technical knowledge and insight to peers and colleagues
- Ensure the team’s approach to testing is fit for purpose
- Review and give constructive feedback on others’ code
- Support product and departmental managers in communicating strategy and product fit and effectiveness to stakeholders at all levels
- Ensure the team’s software works well in its operating environment
- Ensure troubleshooting and resolution of issues throughout the product life cycle including out of hours support for incident resolution
- Work with other technical leaders in the broader organisation to define, document and distribute best practice and standards
- Define, lead and encourage continuous improvement of the teams delivery and development processes
- Work with project, product leads to design software and create implementable specifications and tasks at product and roadmap level
- Work with 3rd Party ("Indies") where necessary providing direction, support and documentation
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies and help introduce them where appropriate
- Work closely with your reports to establish a career path tailored to their motivations. Help them to travel this path by creating opportunities, providing support and empowering them.
- Extensive experience designing and writing robust software for large scale applications in a fast changing environment with rapid release cycles
- Experience working with media playback technologies (HTML5 Video, Dash/HLS, MSE)
- Expertise with mainstream development and deployment tool chains. (IDE, SCCS, CI)
- Experience of open source practices
- Expertise in web architecture and key technologies (HTTP, DNS, distributed design)
- Expertise in test driven development and broader testing and QA concerns
- Leadership experience of project working and professional software development processes, including agile
- Expertise in architecting clean, highly maintainable, decoupled systems
- Effective leadership and collaboration inside and beyond the team. The ability to influence diverse and senior stakeholders effectively
- Takes responsibility for driving products and system to success
- Recruitment, management and mentoring experience
Proud member of the Disability Confident employer scheme
About Disability Confident
A Disability Confident employer will generally offer an interview to any applicant that declares they have a disability and meets the minimum criteria for the job as defined by the employer. It is important to note that in certain recruitment situations such as high-volume, seasonal and high-peak times, the employer may wish to limit the overall numbers of interviews offered to both disabled people and non-disabled people. For more details please go to Disability Confident