Health Care Assistant
|Posting date:||23 May 2020|
|Salary:||£9.0 to £10.5 per hour|
|Closing date:||22 June 2020|
|Location:||Sunderland, Tyne & Wear|
|Company:||Step In Care Ltd|
|Job reference:||Health Care Assistant|
Health Care Assistant
The role involves contact on a physical and psychological level with patients and their families. The post holder will undertake a range of activities under the supervision of a registered nurse, senior staff having been assessed and deemed competent in the activities required.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Support the registered nurse in implementation of an agreed plan of care with the patient and in accordance with instructions and training received;
• Help promote and maintain an environment conducive to meeting the needs of the patient / relatives and carers;
• Contribute to a team approach to patient care in conjunction with all members of the multidisciplinary team and Nursing Residential environment;
• Contribute to the legality and accuracy of the patients care plan/ and or other reports and the effectiveness of the established communication /reporting system over the full 24hrs;
• Participate in regular meetings and attend other meetings as requested;
• Undertake tasks and procedures, in which competency has been assessed and recorded specific to the care environment, including for example blood glucose monitoring;
• Participate in research activities as and when required;
• Provide support and assistance to registered staff;
• All team members are responsible for behaving in a manner that does not put themselves, patients, visitors and other team members in danger or at risk in the clinical environment;
• To assist in the maintenance of stock levels, including pharmaceutical products;
• To assist in the maintenance of home cleanliness and tidiness and adhere to infection control policy and procedures at all times;
• To assist the patient to ensure they have the opportunity to meet their individual dietary requirements. Ensuring all patients receive their chosen and correct meals;
• To receive and convey information from telephone or personal enquiries in a courteous manner and ensure all persons visiting the home are greeted and assisted in a welcoming and supportive manner;
• To assist and support registered nurses and clerical staff in administrative duties as required;
• To escort stable patients to and from all home to departments within the hospital.
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES: POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
The post-holder is required to familiarise themselves with all policies and procedures and to comply with these at all times. Failure to comply with any of these policies may result in disciplinary action up to and including dismissal. These have been agreed with staff and Staff Side and are as follows:
• Treat others as you would like to be treated;
• Listen to and support others and make time to do so;
• Seek, acknowledge and value others’ experience and contribution;
• Acknowledge others’ beliefs;
• Be courteous and considerate to all;
• Treat others fairly and equally;
• Be honest and trustworthy and act with integrity;
• Encourage others to treat all staff well
CONFIDENTIALITY & DATA PROTECTION
The post-holder must maintain the confidentiality of information about patients, staff and other health service business and meet the requirements of the Data Protection Act (1998) at all times. The post-holder must comply with all company Information and Data Protection policies at all times.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
Employees must be aware of the responsibilities placed on them under the Health and Safety at Work Act (1974) and any subsequent relevant legislation and must follow these in full at all times including ensuring that they act in line with all agreed procedures at all times in order to maintain a safe environment for patients, visitors and staff. Failure to comply with these policies may result in disciplinary action up to and including dismissal.
The company has an agreed policy & procedure which links with a range of services and arrangements for staff to manage stress. All staff are required to familiarise themselves with the policy and services to best manage their own and their colleagues’ stress.
HEALTHCARE ASSOCIATED INFECTIONS (HCAIs)
All staffs have a responsibility to act and follow all instructions to protect patients, staff and others from HCAIs. All staffs are required to follow the Hygiene Code and all company policies and procedures related to it and the Health Act 2006. Failure to comply with any of these may result in disciplinary action up to and including dismissal.
EQUALITY & DIVERSITY
The company has adopted a Managing Staff Diversity Strategy & Policy covering all of its staff and it is the responsibility of all staff to comply with these requirements at all times. The key responsibilities for staff under this Strategy and Policy are set out in the Code of Conduct for Employees. Failure to comply with these policies may result in disciplinary action up to and including dismissal.
This job description is intended to provide a broad outline of the main responsibilities only. The post-holder is required to be flexible in developing their role in agreement with their designated manager. In addition, they may be required by their manager to carry out any other duty commensurate with their banding and expertise.
• Assist and support new HCAs
• Post-holder has no managerial or budgetary responsibility.
• The candidate will need to be working towards an NVQ 2 or have The Care Certificate.
• Duties include the following:
I. washing and dressing;
III. helping people to mobilise;
V. bed making;
VI. generally assisting with patients’ overall comfort;
VII. monitoring patients’ conditions by taking temperatures, pulse, respirations and weight.
Minimum 2 years of experience in a healthcare role.
• GCSEs (or equivalent) in English and maths;
• Healthcare qualification, such as BTEC or NVQ
. All health care mandatory training