Part-Time Area Manager - Lancashire
|Posting date:||20 May 2020|
|Salary:||£18,324 per year|
|Additional salary information:||£18,324 per annum|
|Closing date:||19 June 2020|
|Location:||Lancashire, BB11 1NN|
|Company:||Alternative Futures Group|
Alternative Futures Group is the North West’s largest Mental Health and Learning Disability charity.
With a strong track record of over 25 years, we work locally in the community and through our Treatment and Recovery Centres to provide a wide range of innovative and bespoke care services.
We have a vision to create a world where people control their lives. Here at AFG, we pride ourselves on helping the people we support to design, develop and ‘own’ the support they receive by planning this with them; we support people to make informed choices and increase their own independence; and we support people to maintain their own health, wellbeing and living environment. These principles are really important to us.
As a ‘values based’ employer, the people that work for us genuinely care about the people they support, and we are seeking likeminded people to join our AFG family. If you are passionate about working in Health and Social Care and have a real desire to make a positive difference to the lives of the people we support then we would love to hear from you.
At AFG we also recognise the contribution and value that our staff make. We would not be able to provide the life changing support that we do without people like you!
In return for your contribution we will support you throughout your career and we provide a wide range of employee benefits, career development and lifestyle support services to ensure that you too feel supported, fulfilled and valued from day one of your employment with us.
Managing, coordinating and facilitating the first line management function within a community based setting to deliver the required supervision, and occasionally direct care and support; assessing and monitoring the quality of care via quality audits where necessary delivered locally and enabling delivery of care outcomes. Supporting senior managers through operational, financial performance and budgetary accountability to improve efficiency and the delivery of excellent outcomes which increase independence, choice and decision making for service users.
- Providing direct line management up to 12 staff
- The size of the operating budgetary responsibility is based on income levels up to £5m
- Decision making authority £10k
- The postholder will be responsible (on average) for up to 300 people within the local workforce.
- The postholder will be responsible for a minimum of 3200 commissioned hours
- Leadership and delivery of AFG business requirements, charitable aims and purpose with defined area.
- Leadership of the local Operations Team and overseeing all operational matters affecting frontline care services. Acting as key liaison and escalation point for any complaints or disputes involving service users, families, carers, commissioners, regulators or partners.
- Acting as a Leader and Ambassador for the organisation, it’s purpose and its people at all times. Being a positive and active part of the local Leadership Team and supporting the Heads of Operations on key organisational initiatives and assignments.
- Assisting with the development and production of the local business plan; ensuring alignment with and delivery against the strategic objectives of the organisation and agreed performance standards.
- Demonstrating a high level of expertise and understanding of operational services and effectively contributing to the overall strategic development of the organisation as a member of the local Leadership Team.
- To lead and direct staff across geographical areas and be responsible and accountable for the quality, compliance and performance of service provision.
Financial Management & Performance
- Work within the defined process and limits of AFGs Scheme of Reservation and Delegation (SORD).
- Budget planning for area with Head of Operations and associated finance colleagues.
- Managing and delivering within agreed targets the operational budget/P&L and annual business plan.
- Cost-effective deployment, management and utilization of resources and non-pay spend within the locality to agreed cost models, budgets, commissioner contract terms and conditions.
- Supporting Head of Operations to ensure local workforce requirements are aligned, deployed effectively and efficiently in line with commissioner contract requirements.
- Implementing and management of the operating model and service model for a defined area and set of contracts and services.
- Helping to implement local performance management arrangements to ensure delivery of performance in accordance with organisational performance framework.
- Collaborating with appropriate colleagues to identify local targets and objectives that are realistic and underpin the management of performance as outlined in accordance with the organisational performance framework; helping to deliver these targets and measure progress against these.
- Provide operational leadership, direction and management which results in the delivery of effective, efficient, quality assured and person-centred care.
- Ensuring staff performance is appropriate and effective; providing regular 1:1s, performance reviews, personal development plans and ongoing support to staff working at a local practice level including regular team meetings
- Setting objectives for team members that align to local and strategic plans and budgetary constraints in association with the Head of Operations
- Delivering initiatives to drive improved area performance, team work and operational excellence within the locality
- Be active as a member of the Management Team contributing on organisational and corporate initiatives
- Implementing local performance management and my performance processes in conjunction with People & OD colleagues (LD or MH). Ensuring quality conversations are taking place with team leaders to engage, develop and promote high performing teams that achieve excellent standards of care.
- Help implement the People and OD strategy to support our aim to become an employer of choice to ensure we attract, retain and develop our people.
- Ensure all operational people practices are in line with the organisation governance requirements and best practice.
- Developing team capacity and capability through mentoring and coaching. Supporting their ongoing development to maintain competence in practice and support. Assessing their skills gaps and working closely with training team to overcome any potential concerns and minimise any risk to the people we support and the business.
- Recognising indicators of poor performance/quality and acting quickly to remedy to minimise any potential risk
- Understanding of an electronic staffing roster system, ensuring processes to support operational delivery are in place about safe, efficient and effective staffing deployment. The system is used effectively by teams and the information is utilised to improve performance. Working with Heads of Operations, Team Leaders and Workforce Planning team to guide effective deployment of staff.
Service Development & Growth
- Helping to deliver annual growth targets in support of Heads of Operations
- Ensuring on-going feedback on the service is obtained from individuals, families, professionals and groups to determine priorities for improvements to services and supports. Ensuring a culture of engagement and full involvement of the people we support their families, friends and significant others.
- Working collaboratively with Executive Team, Senior Leadership Team and own Area Team to build intelligence for area to understand the service requirements and opportunities of local commissioners and plan accordingly.
- Working collaboratively with the Service Development Manager (LD or MH) to help implement operational development of services in the local area in line with Commissioner needs, the Organisations’ vision, mission and values and promoting Alternative Futures Group (AFG) as a truly person-centered Organisation - a world where people have choice and control in their lives.
- Working with the Community Service Development Manager ( LD/ MH) to ensure development of services locally are aligned to strategy and annual business plan.
- Ensuring quality and value for money are reflected in service delivery and encouraging creativity, innovation and new ways of working.
- Promoting and implementing the delivery of integrated models of care with commissioners, local partners and suppliers.
- Promoting Operational team behaviours and opportunities to develop and grow services through appropriate area initiatives, projects and collaborations.
- Connecting with communities and stakeholders to promote the services on offer locally; responding to changing demands, needs and aspirations of the people who use and those who commission services locally.
- To provide strategic support to the Head of Operations in relation to business growth, transformational change, financial performance and the local agenda.
Quality and Compliance
- Delivery to all requirements of Care Act and/or Mental Health Act and all areas of CQC regulated and non-regulated activity.
- To lead and direct a team in developing and delivering person centred services for staff and to the individuals we support
- Through management of the Team Leaders, develop a culture where people supported are protected from abuse and improper care.
- Working in partnership with Heads of Operations and the Head of Quality and Compliance to help ensure compliance with legislation governing professional regulation, human rights, safe care and treatment and associated standards.
- To deliver a program of quality audits and quality improvement work across area as directed by the Head of Operations
- To provide information to senior managers to enable them to deliver all Quality and Compliance KPIs and requirements of AFGs Quality Management System. Helping to ensure areas of low quality and compliance are identified and addressed in association with Team Leaders and Heads of Operations.
- Ensuring local performance drives continuous improvement and development in quality; being accountable for the performance of local services.
- Working closely with the Quality Lead (for LD or MH) and Quality Auditors to priorities and deliver a program of quality audits and quality improvement work across area. This will include Home Safety Files as a matter of priority.
- Assisting with the local resolution of complaints handling and incident management in line with the organisational frameworks set for these areas of work; using the learning and evidence gained from incidents, complaints handling and compliments to inform quality initiatives in the local area.
- Ensuring all safeguarding incidents are reported and managed in line with local multi agency safeguarding policies and procedures.
- Developing connections with the local community that actively encourage and increase the voices of staff, service users, carers and families in the running of AFG and upholding the reputation of the organisation locally as a ‘person-centered’ organisation.
- Working with Quality Lead ensuring local systems and processes are in place to meet regulatory requirements and assisting with the monitoring and performance of regulatory standards.
- Assisting with preparation and delivery of local action plans resulting from external regulators or internal audit.
- Working in partnership with the H&S Lead to ensure all service provisions are have the highest standards of H&S and that any potential risk to staff, the people we support, and visitors are minimized.
- Ensuring systems and processes for managing risk are in place locally including the provision of relevant training aligned to the organisational Risk Management Framework.
All employees are required to be familiar with and comply with infection prevention and control policies relevant to their area of work.
Health & Safety
You have a legal responsibility not to endanger yourself, your fellow employees and others by your individual acts or omissions. The post holder is required to comply with the requirements of any policy or procedure issued in respect of minimizing the risk of injury or disease. All accidents must be reported to your Manager and in line with the general philosophy of the organisation.
Responsibilities common to all managers
- Demonstrating good judgement and sound decision making by reflecting an appropriate situational awareness, understanding of context and making informed choice when reaching decisions.
- Leading and promoting initiatives that support our organisational aim to be socially and environmentally responsible.
- A good knowledge of Microsoft packages including the ability to competently use IT systems and analyse data information.
- Leading and supporting initiatives/projects that promote the use of ICT.
- Establishing, maintaining and developing professional working relationships with colleagues and external partners.
- Contributing generally to the development of quality services.
- Upholding the values, mission and vision of AFG at all times.
- Adhering to AFG policies and procedures and to operate within the law at all times.
- Demonstrating continuous professional development, encouraging others to do the same and to operate within the AFG performance management framework.
- Working with Corporate Support teams effectively to ensure the best outcome for the people supported.
- Ensuring health and safety at work.
- Complying with Equality and Diversity policy.
- Complying with Code of Conduct.
- Working flexibly in accordance with organisational need.
- Taking part in AFG on call rota ensuring a high quality service is maintained ‘out of hours'.
- Travelling within the operational and business area of AFG.
- Holding team meetings and disseminate corporate messages, feeding back issues and recognising staff achievement.
- Leading on recruitment and selection process ensuring compliance with AFG Recruitment and Selection policy and process.
- Acting with integrity and transparency at all times.
- Undertaking investigations in line with AFG policies.
You can view the full person specification here.
Internal applicants would not be able to combine this part time role with another role, e.g. part time team leader. They would have to have this Part time Area Manager role as their sole substantive role within AFG.
Proud member of the Disability Confident employer scheme
- About Disability Confident
- A Disability Confident employer will generally offer an interview to any applicant that declares they have a disability and meets the minimum criteria for the job as defined by the employer. It is important to note that in certain recruitment situations such as high-volume, seasonal and high-peak times, the employer may wish to limit the overall numbers of interviews offered to both disabled people and non-disabled people. For more details please go to Disability Confident.