Environmental Safety Engineer
|Posting date:||15 May 2020|
|Salary:||£46.35 per hour|
|Closing date:||14 June 2020|
This is for an ongoing contract.
Working 37 hours per week.
Rate of Pay:
£46.35 Per Hour - PAYE
Rationale: Specialist resource required to continue the development of the BDUK Environmental Management System/Strategy, to define and/or refine BDUK Environmental Management procedures and provide Environmental Management subject matter expertise to extant and emergent projects and programmes involving BDUK and, potentially, the wider Boeing Company.
. Environmental Management is a key UK MoD focus area and a legal requirement detailed within the initial issue (April 2018) of Defence Standard 00-051 (Environmental Management Requirements for Defence Systems). Environmental Management tasks are becoming a mandatory part of the standard Statement of Requirement from the UK MoD. Environmental Management requirements are now applicable to all Defence Contracts, as highlighted by recent programmes and proposals, including Autonomous Systems, Fixed Wing and Rotary Wing platforms (including Chinook, AH-64E, P-8A Poseidon, E-7, etc.).
Autonomous Systems Environmental Safety Engineer
Provide Environmental Management expertise for BDUK Autonomous Systems and other new programmes to assist the integration of Environmental Safety considerations within the design and development of BDUK Products, Systems and Services. The successful candidate for this role will be required to support the refinement of a coherent Environmental Management Strategy for BDUK in compliance with relevant legislation and MoD Requirements defined in Defence Standard 00-051, Issue 1, taking due cognisance of the guidance provided within the UK MoD Project Oriented Environmental Management System (POEMS).
The successful candidate for this role will represent BDUK and, potentially, the wider Boeing Company at Boeing Environmental Management forums and be the technical point of contact for Environmental Management subject matter experts within the customer or authority delivery teams.
Reporting to the BDUK Environmental Safety Lead, the role has the following key responsibilities:
7. Support the maintenance of the BDUK Environmental Management System in line with the BDUK Safety Management System and appropriate UK Environmental Management legislation
8. Assist the development of Environmental Management strategies appropriate to each project or programme resulting in a cogent Environmental Case which shall include the following, as required by the project or programme-specific Environmental Management Plan or Strategy:
a. Development of Environmental Management Plans
b. Develop a register of relevant Environmental Management standards
c. Identification of Environmental Management stakeholders
d. Produce Environmental Management Feature Matrices
e. Produce Environmental Impact Screening and Scoping Statements
f. Influence the selection, design, usage and disposal of products and services through all relevant life cycle phases
g. Derivation of Environmental Management design requirements
h. Development of Environmental Case Reports
9. Liaison with other Boeing, customer and supplier technical disciplines to ensure appropriate evidence is available to support the Environmental Management strategy
10. Close liaison with Boeing Environmental, Health and Safety teams
11. Review of supplier Environmental Management deliverables
12. Support Environmental Management Committee and Working Group meetings
13. Support customer and supplier Environmental Management meetings
14. Provide Environmental Management support to the System Safety programme including support to System Safety Working Groups or other associated meetings
15. Present Environmental Management inputs to requirements and design reviews
16. Participate in task-level programme planning, estimating and support for Environmental Management activities
17. Identify risks, issues and opportunities and support the development of mitigation plans
18. Other job responsibilities may include assistance with System Safety tasks, assistance with Human Factors tasks and Export Compliance (technical support of Technical Assistance Agreement (TAA's).
Other job responsibilities may include assistance with System Safety tasks, assistance with Human Factors tasks and Export Compliance (technical support of Technical Assistance Agreement (TAAs).
The candidate should be degree qualified with an appropriate Environmental Management-related degree and a member of a recognised Environmental Management professional body with demonstrable experience in the application of Environmental Management in defence programmes.
The candidate should be able to demonstrate the ability to plan work and develop/use meaningful metrics to evaluate Environmental Management status and provide performance visibility. Able to effectively execute assigned Environmental Management tasking and seek opportunities to improve strategies, processes and project plans. Assist with removal of obstacles by early identification of areas where help is needed and proactively coordinating with the BDUK programme and technical leadership.
The candidate should demonstrate strong communication skills, technical competency and skills with project management concepts/tools.
The role will have significant UK MoD and wider Boeing interface and therefore a person who is diplomatic whilst being strong minded is required. Some UK and US travel is expected.
Highly Desirable competencies:
Experience of working within the System Safety domain would be considered to be a significant advantage.
Boeing Leadership Attributes
FOR A FULL JOB DESCRIPTION please apply