Apprentice Student Operating Department Practitioner | East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust
|Posting date:||22 January 2020|
|Closing date:||21 February 2020|
|Location:||., BN21 2UD|
We are seeking to support 3 people to be employed as Apprentices to undertake a degree in Operating Department Practice.
This degree will support the successful applicants to work professionally in the three areas of perioperative practice, anaesthetics, surgery and Post Anaesthetic Care (PACU). It is proposed that this degree pathway will be for 3 years and three months. This degree will start in September 2020 and complete in the December 2023 of the final year. Once qualified, applicants will have to register their professional qualification with the Health and Care Professional Council (HCPC), to be registered to practice as a professional ODP. They will also become an Allied Health Professional, AHP.
Entry Requirements include the following qualification plus success at interview:-
1. GCSE Math’s and English Language at grade C, or GCSE grade 4 or above in the new grading system. In house functional skills at level 2 or above are also acceptable.
2. Study at level 3 and
3. For those who do not speak English as a first language there is a requirement that IELTS 7 is achieved with no element below 6.5
4. Ideally the Care Certificate.
Human biology studies in addition would be an advantage.
Candidates should have some experience in a health or social care environment and be able to demonstrate at interview the aptitude and perseverance to follow a sustained course of study leading to a professional qualification.
Successful candidates will employed on a fixed term basis as a Student Operating Department Practitioners working some weeks in the Theatre / PACU department and some undertaking theoretical training for their degree at the Canterbury Christchurch University in Medway. This will involve the post holder travelling to Chatham in Kent (usually approximately 39 days per year) to undertake the theoretical part of their training whilst gaining the clinical component of the degree at East Sussex Healthcare Trust across site. It is proposed that travel will be shared between those following this pathway if this is possible but cannot be guaranteed. The post holder will be responsible for their own travel costs.
The apprenticeship post is conditional upon following the training and achieving required competencies within the agreed timeframe.
There will be requirement that on successful completion of the Operating Department Practitioner degree, the post holder will remain with the Trust as an employee for a two year period or to be liable to repay the Trust’s investment or a part of it.
The Operating Theatre Department is a varied, acute and dynamic work area. You will need to be motivated and committed to high standards of patient care and personal professional development. Team working is an integral part of our service, with all staff working together to provide excellent care to individual patients.
We will provide a supportive atmosphere and are committed to the professional development of all staff.
This advert closes on Wednesday 5 Feb 2020
Proud member of the Disability Confident employer scheme
- About Disability Confident
- A Disability Confident employer will generally offer an interview to any applicant that declares they have a disability and meets the minimum criteria for the job as defined by the employer. It is important to note that in certain recruitment situations such as high-volume, seasonal and high-peak times, the employer may wish to limit the overall numbers of interviews offered to both disabled people and non-disabled people. For more details please go to Disability Confident.