Chartered Structural Engineer
|Posting date:||20 January 2020|
|Closing date:||19 February 2020|
|Location:||Croydon, Surrey, CR0 2EE|
We are currently recruiting for a Chartered Structural Engineer to join our tight knit team in Croydon comprising of civil structural engineers and geotechnical engineers across a range of specialisms and work on a wide range of projects at various levels of responsibility and delivery.
As a Chartered Structural Engineer, you will be involved in structural analysis and design (from concept to detail) of substructures associated with large underground spaces such deep basements, cut and cover tunnels and metro infrastructure. You will also be involved in project management duties for ground engineering projects such as undertaking budgeting and cost control. In addition to this you be fully conversant in soil/structure interaction issues associated with below-ground structures, including appropriate modelling and analysis software. There is also potential for you to take significant responsibility within the teams in leading the design delivery of major projects. Due to the nature of our work, you will also travel to client sites when necessary both nationally and internationally.
Your responsibilities will involve:
- Design of all forms of retaining walls and other ground support systems to EC2 and EC7 Eurocode
- Design of major temporary works associated with underground structures with attention to safety, buildability and sequencing of the works
- Manage and guide design work for other team members
Does this sound like you?
As a chartered Structural Design Engineer you will be able to support our Principal Engineers and Project Managers in the delivery of major projects. You will be able demonstrate your experience in civil and/or structural design as well as your understanding of soil/structure interaction. You have a fundamental understanding of reinforced concrete design following Eurocodes EC2 and EC7 and have delivered various civil structural projects. You are a relationship builder and understand the dynamics of working with and contributing to a team and are also comfortable working independently. In addition, you are prepared to travel nationally or overseas when required for project delivery.
You will be able to demonstrate the following:
- A degree in Civil or Structural Engineering or similar (Masters preferred)
- Chartered with a relevant UK or European professional institution
- Experience liaising with clients and/or third parties to build professional relationships
- Ability to undertake of lead design analysis and modelling
- Good verbal and written communication skills with all levels of staff and clients
Although not essential, any additional experience in underground or below ground structural design would be beneficial as would experience in offshore foundation design such as wind turbines. It would be advantageous if you have previously worked on major projects.
A little about us
Mott MacDonald below ground heavy civils and geotechnical engineering capability is recognised as authorative and inspirational. Our Foundations and Geotechnics team specialise in all aspects of foundations, geotechnics, cut and cover tunnelling and structural engineering to support underground space, which enables us to contribute to some of the largest and most demanding structures in the world. These projects range from high speed rail infrastructure between London and Birmingham, Thames Tideway, Doha Metro, Northern Line Extension and London Heathrow Expansion including new terminals and tunnel infrastructure, amongst numerous others.
How to apply
If this sounds like somewhere you'd like to work, click apply to continue with your application.
We offer a competitive benefits package including our flexible benefits scheme covering additional holidays, pension, healthcare, life assurance, cycle to work, season ticket loan and much more. We have a collegiate and collaborative culture which values equality and diversity, and we take proactive steps to create an inclusive workplace. Together, we are opening opportunities with connected thinking.
Proud member of the Disability Confident employer scheme
- About Disability Confident
- A Disability Confident employer will generally offer an interview to any applicant that declares they have a disability and meets the minimum criteria for the job as defined by the employer. It is important to note that in certain recruitment situations such as high-volume, seasonal and high-peak times, the employer may wish to limit the overall numbers of interviews offered to both disabled people and non-disabled people. For more details please go to Disability Confident.