User Experience Designer (New Experiences)
|Posting date:||09 November 2019|
|Additional salary information:||Competitive|
|Closing date:||09 December 2019|
|Location:||London, W12 7TQ|
At BBC UX&D we design experiences for the audience of tomorrow and deliver them to the audience of today. And we’ve won plenty of awards for our efforts.
We need a User Experience Designer to join our New Experiences (NEX) team who will support innovation projects, work with emerging technologies (XR) and enable us to deliver extraordinary experiences that will reinvent the BBC for a new generation.
You will have the specialist skills needed to design and develop spatial and immersive multi-modal services and experience of working in the games industry.
You’ll join a centre of excellence for user experience and design, working with the best in the business. Collaborating strategically with technical, editorial and product teams from across the BBC, you are able to harness innovation and new technology to create delightful experiences.
Your strong UX and UI design capabilities will be complemented by a solid foundation of development skills enabling you to prototype for emerging technologies such as VR and AR. You have a clear understanding of how all these skills interrelate to each other to bring new experiences to life.
You are able to learn new things quickly and comfortable with change and motivated by using technology as a means to achieve creative solutions that meet user needs.
You pride yourself on adaptability, switching between design thinking and a development mentality as the project requires. Working hand-in-hand with developers, designing, prototyping, experimenting and stretching technology to surprise and excite people is your forte
- Working alongside other UX designers, developers, researchers and architects
- You will help to organise, facilitate and contribute to workshops (for idea generation or requirements gathering)
- Assist with concept development through sketching and storyboarding
- Plan and execute functioning prototypes to a range of fidelity: from rapid to more elaborate depending on the task
- Contribute to planning and creating material for user research
- Work with third parties to deliver production-ready experiences that meet a high level of quality
- Help to inform the overall strategy of our department through industry and technical insight
- Collaborate with a range of teams and disciplines, working together to create experiences that serve all of our audiences
- Help to disseminate knowledge of innovative user experience concepts and emerging technologies throughout the organisation through communications, talks and training
The list of required skills for this role is necessarily broad so as to be flexible and ready to adapt, but there is an emphasis on experience and skills in the areas of VR, AR and 3D modelling.
- Experience designing and developing for spatial and immersive XR experiences (both mobile and headset based).
- Experience in games design
- Experience in animation and motion design - Adobe AE, Maya or equivalent software packages.
- Working with developers to creating experiences using games engines like Unity and/or Unreal.
- Digital 3D model making. Whether you use Maya, 3DS Max, Blender, Cinema 4D etc. there is an emphasis on creating optimised assets for use in other environments.
- Prototyping with WebXR and related frameworks
- Experience working in multidisciplinary teams (including designers, developers, product managers) to conceptualise and deliver great experiences.
- Experience communicating with people in and out of the design / development fields
- Experience of working in a range of emerging technology fields with demonstrable results in creating innovative experiences.
- Experience with general web technologies and frameworks for prototyping
In addition to sending us your CV, please use the application form to give specific examples of things you have done that demonstrate that you have the knowledge, skills, training and experience we are looking for, as described above.
Proud member of the Disability Confident employer scheme
- About Disability Confident
- A Disability Confident employer will generally offer an interview to any applicant that declares they have a disability and meets the minimum criteria for the job as defined by the employer. It is important to note that in certain recruitment situations such as high-volume, seasonal and high-peak times, the employer may wish to limit the overall numbers of interviews offered to both disabled people and non-disabled people. For more details please go to Disability Confident.