BI System Specialist
|Posting date:||23 August 2019|
|Additional salary information:||Competitive|
|Closing date:||22 September 2019|
BBC Design & Engineering provides the foundations for broadcasting - we keep the BBC’s services on-air 24 hours a day, seven days a week. That means everything from transmission for TV and radio - enabling us to reach 97% of adults in the UK every week including the cameras, mixing desks, email and business systems for our world-class programme makers and staff.
It is this technology that connects our colleagues and our viewers to our content. To support the BBC, now and in the future, our priorities are to make sure we’re flexible, efficient and can take advantage of all the digital developments happening in broadcasting.
Our objectives are to:
- Deliver agreed portfolio priorities to plan
- Delivery on our major projects
- Be a strategic partner with the rest of the BBC
- Make real the Engineering Operating model
- Build the capability we need to deliver the Engineering Vision
This role sits within Business Systems in BBC Design & Engineering which sets the technology strategy and delivers and supports solutions to optimise running of all the BBC’s business critical functions including HR, Finance, Procurement, Legal and Workplace.
- The BI Developer will report operationally to the BI Technical Lead and will be responsible for maintenance, development and administration of the data warehouse environment (BW 7.3/7.02/7.4/7.5, and BO 4.1/4.2) in line with the approved development plans, change requests and the operational service levels.
- The BI Developer will play a key role in advising users and satisfying their requirements relating to Data Structures and the delivery of Reporting and Business Intelligence services. A key focus of the role will be to manage business demand and work proactively with the business to maximise the value to the business from the management information and reporting. The BI Developer will proactively identify where existing systems can be enhanced and the data reporting environment improved.
- The BI Developer will take part in the implementation of new data warehouse solutions based on SAP BI and ABAP (Objects) and will support the maintenance and integrity of the BBC Business Analytics Offerings .
- The BI Developer must strive to uphold the integrity of the BBC Enterprise Data Model, the BBC finance master data hierarchies and the chart of accounts.
**Please refer to the Job Description for more information.**
Knowledge, Skills & Competencies:
- Strong Data Analyst skills with experience gained from developing, implementing and operating large and business critical database environments.
- Sound understanding of system data controls, SAP-related segregation of duties and fraud and risk management requirements in a complex organisation.
- Knowledge of BW 7.3/7.02/7.4/7.5, Business Objects 4.1/4.2, BI 4.1/4,2 Dashboards, BI 4.1/4.2 OLAP Analysis, Analysis for Office tools, Web Intelligence, Lumira, SAP BW Query Designer, ABAP for BW
- Very strong analytical skills with a particular emphasis on understanding and transforming large volumes of complex data into valuable business information.
- Strong capability in working with end users and translating their business aspirations into very tangible data analysis and reporting solutions.
- Experience of working with BODS will be an advantage.
- Experience of working in an agile environment.
- Previous experience in the finance is advantageous.
- A strong understanding of Data Protection legislation and how it impacts access controls.
- A strong database knowledge gained working with technically advanced industry recognised database products of the scale and complexity of technologies such as DB2, Oracle, Microsoft-SQL etc.
- Experience of delivering services within an ITIL environment.
- Excellent customer skills especially with respect to verbal communications which are clear and understandable to users with relatively less technical and data analyst experience
- Information Technology degree, or equivalent professional qualification / experience
- Certifications in Business Intelligence products, including SAP certification is desirable
- ITIL qualified - ITIL Foundation minimum is desirable
- IT Professional certifications aligned to the role as identified within the Job Description
Proud member of the Disability Confident employer scheme
- About Disability Confident
- A Disability Confident employer will generally offer an interview to any applicant that declares they have a disability and meets the minimum criteria for the job as defined by the employer. It is important to note that in certain recruitment situations such as high-volume, seasonal and high-peak times, the employer may wish to limit the overall numbers of interviews offered to both disabled people and non-disabled people. For more details please go to Disability Confident.