Junior Software Engineer
|Posting date:||20 July 2019|
|Additional salary information:||Competitive|
|Closing date:||19 August 2019|
|Location:||London, W12 7TU|
With 95% of the UK using the BBC every week, were the highest reaching media provider in the UK, driven by the strength of our Broadcast portfolio across TV, Radio and Online. Beyond the UK were building one of the worlds biggest global media brands, reaching 372m people a week worldwide across TV, Radio and online.
Using cutting-edge, cloud-based technologies, Media Services is the team responsible for publishing all of the BBC's online audio and video content, powering iPlayer, BBC Sounds, News and Sport. We handle live content, catch up, and podcasts.
Our platform handles over 13 million plays per day, every day we ingest and publish over 1000 hours of catch-up content, and publish 3-4 TB of new files. We make programs available using a range of the latest streaming technologies, providing the best possible playback across multiple platforms and devices. All of this adds up to a high profile, large-scale product with a fast-moving development environment.
You will join a highly agile, fast-moving and motivated team of engineers who take pride and responsibility for the components they build and run in production. As a talented software engineer, you would help us to continue to build the audio and video processing systems that power BBC online media.
To design, develop and support products and services that publish the BBC's audio and video content online. This includes:
- Collaborating with other team members to design and implement software and APIs for use across the BBC using microservice architecture in the AWS cloud
- Writing unit and integration tests, within automated test-driven environments to ensure code quality
- Using continuous integration systems for automatically building, testing and deploying software components
- Effectively participate in the team's software development methodologies, such as pairing, code and documentation reviewing and continuous delivery
- Writing clear, concise and comprehensive technical documentation.
- Participate in team technical discussions and estimation meetings
You will have a passion for software and technical innovation, and enjoy being involved in the complete lifecycle from project scoping through to implementation, testing, live deployment and ongoing maintenance. You have the ability to rapidly acquire new software skills and to thrive in a technically complex and fast-changing environment.
You should be comfortable in using test-driven development approaches to write clean Java code and at least one scripting language. You would be working in a Unix-like environment with command-line tools.
We are looking for engineers who are self-motivated to design and implement solutions utilizing a variety of technologies, frameworks and platforms in order to deliver industry-leading solutions. You are a team player that enjoys working together in a friendly environment. You should have an appreciation of BBC output and a passion for technology in the new media environment.
Proud member of the Disability Confident employer scheme
- About Disability Confident
- A Disability Confident employer will generally offer an interview to any applicant that declares they have a disability and meets the minimum criteria for the job as defined by the employer. It is important to note that in certain recruitment situations such as high-volume, seasonal and high-peak times, the employer may wish to limit the overall numbers of interviews offered to both disabled people and non-disabled people. For more details please go to Disability Confident.