Senior Java Developer
|Posting date:||22 July 2019|
|Closing date:||19 August 2019|
|Location:||London, EC2M 4AA|
|Company:||Royal Bank of Scotland Group|
Join us in London as a Senior Java Developer
- This is an opportunity for a skilled technologist to join our business critical Data Services function
- You'll be responsible for developing and maintaining the Trade Store capabilities for NatWest Markets in the high-functioning team
- The role combines application architecture, design, leading development practices with hands-on coding and development.
What you'll do
You'll be joining the Trade Store Development Team, which is responsible for creating a centralised Trade Store, providing a PaaS layer to alleviate storage level constrains and concerns of application teams and to become fully cloud based in near future. The strategy for this has to be positioned alongside a full agenda of business facing work, as well as technical transformation.
- Actively contribute to technical delivery of a software engineering team
- Contribute to solution design options and be able to explain the pros and cons to key stakeholders and team members for appropriate decision making
- Contribute to estimating after a thorough consideration of design, build and testing complexity as well as maintainability and serviceability
- Be responsible for work quality of the software engineering team, ensuring it meets the technical standards for all services output
- Monitor the technical progress against plans while safeguarding functionality, scalability and performance and providing updates to stakeholders
- Support and mentor the team in understanding of software languages and technical domains relevant to the areas
The skills you'll need
You'll need extensive demonstratable experience in core Java (data structures, multithreading, concurrency) and of implementing programme best practice as well as experience of test-driven development alongside use of the automated test frameworks.
You'll also need:
- Experience working on a PaaS ecosystem, such as Concurrency, Multitenancy, metadata driven transformations, data storage, caching or identity management
- To be comfortable working in an Agile environment with a three week release cycle and a DevOps support model
- To be a self-starter and confident to work independently
- To be interested in learning new technologies and contributing to design discussions.
The following skills would be an advantage:
- Knowledge of C#
- Experience of cloud native (AWS/Azure/GCP) and related technologies (e.g. Kubernetes, Docker, Stacker)
- A knowledge of banking products, output, or infrastructure
How we'll reward you
In return, we offer a competitive salary and you'll also join our retirement savings plan. You can also choose from a selection of protection, healthcare or lifestyle extras from RBSelect, our fully flexible reward programme.
Visit our reward and benefits page for more information on the benefit packages we offer.
At NatWest Markets we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we'll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles.