Join our world-class engineering team delivering the technical solutions that power the BBC’s mobile apps. Work for one of the world’s most creative forces and trusted public sector organisations.
We are currently seeking highly talented Software Engineers for our BBC North Design & Engineering campus. There are more than 40 teams based in the MediaCityUK campus, responsible for implementing, developing and delivering a range of varied products, including:
- iPlayer & BBC Sounds apps
- BBC Sport apps
- Children's CBeebies and CBBC apps
- Media services delivering core media playback capability
As a Software Engineer you will contribute the development of features, fix bugs and issues, review code from others in the team and make a key contribution to the entire development lifecycle, from conception and discovery through development and delivery.
Everybody on the team has a say in how we work, so you need to be able to work with others across disciplines - collaborating with UX designers, API engineers, testers and product owners so that together we can make everything we do the best it can possibly be. You’ll help create team goals and objectives, contribute feature ideas and discuss the future direction of the product, and give input in retrospectives on how we’re performing as a team and what we can do to improve. Even this job description was written collaboratively, using feedback and suggestions from everyone on the team.
You’ll also have opportunities to grow and specialise. We want you to be passionate about the future of technology in broadcasting, and the impact you can have. You’ll need a desire to keep learning and growing, with support from cross-team groups, meet-ups and chapters focussed on topics such as Android and iOS development, accessibility, security, development practices, continuous delivery and many other areas of interest.
You may have experience of some, but not necessarily all, of the following.
- Mobile Application development on iOS and/or Android platforms.
- Objective-C, Swift, Java, Kotlin.
- High capacity, high traffic, high availability mobile apps.
- API creation and integration.
- Testing tools and approaches, including Test Driven Development, and test frameworks such as XCTest, JUnit and Robolectric.
- Cloud engineering platforms such as AWS.
- Knowledge and understanding of development and design experience on mobile phone platforms.
- Engineering principles, OO and design patterns.
- Delivering large-scale projects within an agile multi-disciplined team.
- Agile software development methodologies, techniques and processes.
Proud member of the Disability Confident employer scheme
About Disability Confident
A Disability Confident employer will generally offer an interview to any applicant that declares they have a disability and meets the minimum criteria for the job as defined by the employer. It is important to note that in certain recruitment situations such as high-volume, seasonal and high-peak times, the employer may wish to limit the overall numbers of interviews offered to both disabled people and non-disabled people. For more details please go to Disability Confident